JOHOR BARU: A 40-year-old woman finally found her missing toddler after a heart-breaking two-year search – and she now faces another problem.
The “caretakers” of the child want RM3,500.
Norchikan Kambali, who fell sick soon after her six-month-old daughter Akhmal Darlinna Zaidi went missing in August 2006, said she could not afford to pay them.
She has lodged a police report and sought help from the Welfare Department.
Norchikan said she used to leave Akhmal with a nanny when she went to work at a factory here. But when she went to collect her baby one morning, the nanny claimed her brother had taken the child away.
Norchikan said she immediately informed her husband who helped her conduct a door-to-door search for the baby.
After a Malay daily ran a story about an Indonesian couple in Tampoi who were caring for a child, Norchikan finally located her daughter on Dec 30 last year.
“I was overjoyed and went to meet the couple but was enraged because they wanted money from me,” she said.
“My husband and I have no money but we really want our baby back.”
The mother of three said it was unfair for the “caretakers” to ask for money as she was not the one who had left the child with them.
State Women, Family, Community and Health Committee chairman Dr Robia Kosai said they would obtain a court order to place the child under their care while they carry out DNA tests to establish the identity of the child.
Muar OCPD Asst Comm Mohammad Nasir said police had referred the case to the Welfare Department because it was not a criminal case.
Unless this is case of really bad writing by the reporter it sure sounds like some police investigation is necessary if not imperative. Somebody's baby is lost for more than a year and then is 'discovered' under what I would say are suspicious (no matter how remote) circumstances and our OCPD proudly announces it is not a criminal case. Way to go, Nasir! I think we should nominate you for the Sherlock Holmes award for elementary stupidity.